Role of education is to develop the different dimension of human personality such as intellectual, physical, emotional, ethical, aesthetic etc. It is visible that as an individual our children attained the excellence but as far as equity and relevance for society as whole is concerned we have yet not framed our system to make education affordable and comparable. To get education is the fundamental right of every child and as a human being; it is our duty and responsibility to impart education to all through different methods and schemes.
Keeping in mind the responsibility for imparting education to children with special need, the U.S.R. Indu Samiti started a Handicapped School in 1998 at Basai, Peerumadara, Ramnagar. Since then it has never looked back and the Samiti organized different camps and school to impart education for the disabled children and now this school is being regulated as named The “Janet Sheed Roberts” Residential School for Special Needs Children.
The concept of this School is to impart education with residential facilities to differently able children of all the district of Uttarakhand. Seeing the importance of Inclusive Educational environment, the School building is constructed to provide best educational and residential environment for differently able children at the large two acre campus of U.S.R. Indu Inter College, Village-Basai, Peerumadara, Ramnagar, District- Nainital, Uttarakhand.
ABOUT THE “JANET SHEED ROBERTS” RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN
The School is named after Mrs. Janet Sheed Roberts and has been built in her memory. At one hundred and ten she was the oldest lady living in Scotland. She was the Granddaughter or Mr. William Grant the founder of ”William Grant”.
To celebrate her reaching such an age William Grant asked ”Women in Travel” to auctioned a bottle of rare Glenfiddich Whisky and gives the funds raised to a charity. They were gifted to the ”Lotus Flower Trust, UK” who, with the support of ”U.S.R. Indu Samiti” has constructed this Residential School for the Special Needs Children of Uttarakhand. Now the project has been implemented since December 2012 with imparting education to 60 special need children with residential and inclusive setup.
VISION of the JSR
”To ensure basic education and improve the level of health and social status for all Special Need Children”.
MISSION of the JSR
To collect the data of disabled children through identification, counseling and assessment camps.
To spread awareness on early intervention and education for disabled children among communities.
To create comfortable educational and residential environment as per need of disabled children.
To provide special therapy for bringing in mainstream to each special need child.
To provide quality education with inclusive education to differently able children..
To provide vocational training to disabled persons.
The School is located 8 Km. far from Ramnagar at Basai, Peerumadara. Ramnagar town is situated in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand State and it is the gateway of famous Jim Corbett National Park and Corbett Tiger Reserve. Jim Corbett Park is known as India’s first National Park, which cradled in the foothills of the Himalayas and spreads over approximate 500 Km along the bank of Koshi River. Rail and Bus facilities are available from different part of the country to reach here.
Information regarding facilities and other detail at J.S.R. Residential School for the Special Needs Children run under U.S.R. Indu Samiti.
- DETAIL OF NUMBER OF CHILDREN- At present 72 with Mentally Retarded, Hearing Impairment, Cerebral Palsy, Speech Impairment and physically or multiple special needs children are being imparted education with residential facilities through The Janet Sheed Roberts Residential School.
- EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM- Mostly special needs children with Orthopedic and hearing impairment are studying with normal children in U.S.R. Public School as well as U.S.R. Inter College while children with mentally retarded, cerebral palsy and Deaf are being imparted education in J.S.R. School with dividing different groups as 1 Teacher & 8 Children ratio.
- ADMISSION TO THE SCHOOL- The Special needs children with age group 5 to 14 are enrolled in the J.S.R. Residential School for imparting education while above then 14-18 age group will be enrolled in J.S.R. Skill Development Center for imparting vocational training or skill development. Mostly special needs children with mild and moderate level are enrolled in school but if any parent or other needs to admit his/ her special needs child with profound and severe level are admitted after prior permission of the Samiti’s management with extra charges.
- RESIDENTIAL ACCOMMODATION- The School runs as co-educational and inclusive setup but in hostel, boys and girls are facilitated separate hostel facilities. There are 11 big and 3 small rooms available for the residing children. 100 plus special needs children may stay in the hostel. For the easy accommodation and as per the needs of children, the children are divided into different group in each room with separating them in separate hostels.
- STAFF DETAIL- There are 21 staff available at J.S.R. Residential School for different work as sequentially 4 special educators with 2 instructors for imparting special education to children with mentally retarded, cerebral palsy and deaf, 3 Caretaker for best care of the children and three female wardens. The present ratio of caretaker and children is 1:15; in the cases of mild and moderate level Cerebral palsy & mentally retarded children but this will have to increase as per the demand of children with severe and profound level mentally retarded and cerebral palsy. For the development of physical and mental growth of the studying children at J.S.R. there are a physiotherapist, a Medical Doctor, a Yoga teacher, a sports teacher, a dance/ music teacher and an Early Interventionist appointed with visiting faculty by the Samiti.
- ACADEMIC INFRASTRUCTURE- Three big rooms with two small rooms and a big hall are available for imparting education to the children with MR and Deaf. Children are divided into different groups as per their IQ level and functional assessment.
- CLASS ROOM MANAGEMENT- 6 special needs children with mental retarded sit in a round table and such four groups are imparted education in one room. One special educator with two groups teaches the children with TLM and other device. For imparting education to children with deaf; one special educator teaches whole class while other children with hearing impairment study with normal children with using hearing aids at U.S.R. Indu Inter College.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION- 15 computers with internet connectivity are available for the special needs children with different CDs and DVDs.
- ELECTRICITY FACILITY- Twenty four hours electricity facilities with solar power and solar geezer are available in the school campus.
- COOKING- A high-tech kitchen with two cooks and three helpers is available for providing best food to the children.
- SYLLABUS- For the children with mental retarded the Class rooms/ syllabus is divided as pre- primary, primary, secondary and vocational group or as per NIMH syllabus while for the deaf and Sporadically children the syllabus is available of Uttarakhand education board with different devices.
- DRESS AND CLOTHS- The special needs children are provided school uniform from the School management with taking prior payment from the parents while ordinary cloths are collected/ given to the warden by parents as per child’s needs.
- ACTIVITIES DETAIL- The activities run at J.S.R. is directed by expert professionals in the supervision of wardens. Daily activities run at J.S.R. are as below-
Name of Activities
|1||Awaking to children by Care taker.|
|2||Toilet and Brush with helping each other in the direction of Caretaker and warden.|
|3||Morning walk and Exercise in the direction of Yoga teacher.|
|4||Bath and Make up with helping each other in the direction of Caretaker.|
|5||Break fast with helping each other in the direction of caretaker and helper of cook.|
|6||Dress up and provide mediations with sending concern School by Caretaker and Warden.|
|7||Prayer and light physical activities in the direction of Teachers.|
|8||Class room activities in the direction of teachers.|
|9||Provide light food by caretaker and warden during Interval.|
|10||Class room activities in the direction of teachers with checking the note books.|
|11||Recreational Activities in the direction of Instructors.|
|12||Back Hostel from the school and changing the dress with helping each other in the direction of caretaker.|
|13||Rest. (Three hours in Summer and one hour in Winter)|
|14||Home work exercise with helping each other in the direction of warden and Caretaker.|
|15||Computer classes, Games, Dance, Music and other activities in direction of Instructors.|
|16||Entertainment with watching TV and other music system.|
|17||Dinner with helping each other and caretaker and providing mediations by Warden.|
|18||Go to bed with helping each other in the direction of Caretaker, Warden and helper.|
|19||Help toileting, drinking water during night by Caretaker and helper.|
Note- All above mentioned activities run by concern appointed staff in the direction of written timing and directions of core team members of the Samiti. During holidays, the children are assessed, examined and checked up by visiting faculty. Mostly children are sent to their home only in summer, winter vacation and big religious festivals as per the prior permission of the School authority/ wardens.